Pages

Monday, March 26, 2012

Introduction to Heather King

Heather King:
"My work is both Catholic and catholic, which is to say universal, all-inclusive: a thirst for communion, a pondering of the questions: Why are we here? Where did we come from? Where are we going?

Someone once asked me, "How could you become a Catholic in L.A.?" My answer is "How could you not become a Catholic in L.A.?" What better backdrop for reflection than the paradoxes of wealth and the poverty, beauty and broken dreams, the power and the glory of the City of Angels? What better place for the maddening, every-absorbing task of making my way as a human being and a writer than this fractured city of nine million other shining souls?

I'm a graduate of the University of New Hampshire and Suffolk Law School. Born and raised on the New Hampshire seacoast, I did a 10-year stint in Boston and moved to L.A. in 1990. Following a disastrous 4-year run as a Beverly Hills attorney, I quit my job, converted to Catholicism, and began writing. My commentaries have been aired on NPR's "All Things Considered"; my essays published, among other places, in The Los Angeles Times Magaizne, The Utne Reader, Commonweal, Notre Dame Magazine, Portland Magazine, and The Sun; and my work anthologized in the Best Spiritual Writing series 2002, 2005, and 2008. (click on dates for links).

I've received fellowships from the Djerassi Foundation, the Dorland Mountain Arts Colony, the Helene Wurlitzer Foundation, and the Ucross Foundation, and am a communicant at St. Basil's and St. Thomas the Apostle chruches in Koreatown, L.A." 

~ from heather-king.com

"If you are lonely enough, and spiritually hungry enough, and desperate enough, you will eventually see a cross with a body on it, stop in your tracks and realize: That is me. " ~ Heather King

2 comments:

  1. Hello Ms. King!

    I am wondering which aspect of St. Therese's personality you connected with, and which struggle of hers helped you the most on your spiritual journey, and why.

    Thank you for bringing St. Therese closer to each of us in new and more meaningful, "little" ways. :)

    Julia Motekaitis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great question Julia! I can't wait to hear her answer!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...