Pages

Friday, February 1, 2013

On Persuasion, by Dr. Ken Bugajski




The Bookish Catholics Resident Professor is back again! We welcome Dr. Ken Bugajski, Associate Professor of English at the University of St. Francis in Fort Wayne, Indiana. He shares his thoughts with us as we begin reading Persuasion by Jane Austen.

Hello again, everyone. It is great to be back with you this month to talk about Jane Austen. I should say from the beginning that I know Bookish Catholics has a number of Jane Austen devotees, and so I hope I don't waste your time telling you things you already know.

Where to start? Well, I may as well tell you that Persuasion is my favorite Jane Austen novel. I know that Pride and Prejudice is the choice for most people--and it is a wonderful book--but I have always liked Persuasion better, even though the ending has some flaws. No spoilers--I mean only that because Austen passed away, the last chapter seems not to have been fully revised. To me, the end lacks the polish of her other prose. Even so, Persuasion remains my favorite, and for my money, it contains one of the best literary love letters I know of, even better--yes, I will say it--than Darcy's to Lizzie.

As always for Austen, marriage is of primary concern, and I think of all Austen's novels, Persuasion considers marriage the most. Through our single heroine, Anne, Austen shows us the difficulty and challenge of finding the right person to marry, but the novel also presents a number of different models for what a married couple can be.

So what can marriage be like? First up are Charles and Mary Musgrove, who seem to present a model that is less than ideal. Charles is dutiful but distant from Mary. Mary cares for their children to the extent that she can do so without their displacing herself as the center of attention. As Austen says, Charles and Mary “might pass for a happy couple,” but once we spend some time with them, we see below that surface level. They often do not agree nor do they communicate about those differences; both resort to passive/aggressive behavior towards the other.

The Harvilles, who we meet in chapter 11, exemplify another type of marriage, and perhaps they represent what could have become of Anne and Wentworth had they been married when Anne was 19. They seem happy enough, but their house is always stretched to the limit in activity and money. When Anne and the others come to visit them in Lyme, for example, Benwick has to move out because there is not enough space for him.

Captain Benwick, who we also meet in Lyme, although he is single, also shows a third possibility for Anne. Benwick has lost the love of his life, and we can interpret him, perhaps, as a potential inverse of Anne. Had she and Wentworth married and Wentworth continued his naval career, perhaps Anne would have lost her love in the line of duty as Benwick has lost his love due to illness. Austen goes out her way to note that Anne and Benwick are similar to one another—even Anne recognizes it—and so here is another version of what married life might have been like for our heroine.

The first married couple we meet, the Admiral and Mrs. Croft, provide a final possibility for Anne (the Crofts are, incidentally, my favorite literary married couple).* The Crofts are always together, and Austen goes on at length the emphasize this. We learn in chapter 4, for example, that the Crofts have been travelling together and have just returned to England. Chapter 8 features a long discussion of whether wives of sailors should be allowed on naval ships, and Mrs. Croft expresses definite opinions about this matter. At one point, Austen’s describes the Crofts—who have been married for a long time—as acting “in a way not endurable to a third person.” Clearly the romance is alive in their relationship.

So, as Anne navigates her life—the move from Kellynch, seeing Captain Wentworth again, meeting Benwick—she encounters different examples of what married life can look like. Austen puts Anne in the position of being able to see how differently relationships can function and so that she can determine what she herself might wish.

*The Crofts are also responsible for one of my favorite scenes in all of the novels I know. But I don’t want to spoil that for you!

15 comments:

  1. I love this, Ken! Thank you so much. I've never lined up all the marriages in Persuasion like this before, and it is very interesting. It will give me a new perspective as I reread this favorite.

    The Crofts! THE CROFTS!!! Long live the Crofts!!! Yes, my favorite Jane Austen couple of all time. And unlike ANY other couple she wrote about in any of her novels. I think that, as Jane Austen wrote this at the end of her life, they were her heart's desire. If she could have written her own story, she would have been one half of that couple.

    Keep the writing coming Ken!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My name is tucker stacey.This is a very joyful day of my life because of the help Dr.Trust has rendered to me by helping me get my ex husband back with his magic and love spell. i was married for 6 years and it was so terrible because my husband was really cheating on me and was seeking for a divorce but when i came across Dr.Trust email on the internet on how he help so many people to get thier ex back and help fixing relationship.and make people to be happy in their relationship. i explained my situation to him and then seek his help but to my greatest surprise he told me that he will help me with my case and here i am now celebrating because my Husband has change totally for good. He always want to be by me and can not do anything without my present. i am really enjoying my marriage, what a great celebration. i will keep on testifying on the internet because Dr.Trust is truly a real spell caster. DO YOU NEED HELP THEN CONTACT DOCTOR TRUST NOW VIA EMAIL: Ultimatespellcast@yahoo.com or call +2348156885231 or ultimatespellcast@gmail.com. He is the only answer to your problem and make you feel happy in your relationship.

      Delete
  2. Oh, thank you for this! Persuasion is my favorite Austen novel and the Crofts are my favorite couple, also! I'm so excited to hear a scholar side with Persuasion over Pride and Prejudice, although the former is a great work, also. I agree with what Lauren wrote above. The Crofts are portrayed with love and a wistfulness and I love them as much as Austen apparently did.

    Of all Austen heroines, I relate most to Anne and Darcy comes in third for me when it comes to Austen men, after Wentworth and Knightley.

    I think Persuasion is the most passionate Austen novel, in its tone, the depth of the characters, descriptions of place in relation to character exposition, and the plot, not just in terms of passion as people normally think of as related to romance. That's why I love the 2007 movie adaptation, because although small liberties are taken and every single detail of the novel is not portrayed, the movie captures the breathless feel and passionate strength of the novel. I think I'm in the minority on this position among my local lovely Janeites, though! Although I will concede the portrayal of the Crofts in the earlier adaptation is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The "latter", not the "former" in my third sentence above:)

      Delete
    2. Without having read the novel, I definitely prefer the storyline of Persuasion. I love the theme of second chances, of love being tested and in fire and enduring! :) I might be in the minority, too!

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Terri, I have a colleague here who also likes Persuasion best. His wife strongly favors P&P, so you can imagine that has resulted in a number of discussions over dinner and a glass of wine!

    I, too, like Anne and Wentworth more than Darcy and Lizzie (though, of course, Darcy and Lizzie are wonderful). Anne and Wentworth are a bit older, and that is part of what I like about them. That age difference (between Anne & Wentworth and Darcy & Lizzie) has, I think, some important thematic implications for the novel--and those themes are why I like Persuasion over P&P. But....that's a conversation for a time when we're closer to February 18, and we're near the end of the book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. As usual...I am the member with the least knowledge of any of these books and yes, I realize this will be shocking to many of you, but this is my first Jane Austen novel EVER. I was a little nervous to even begin trying to read this book (I think I mentioned this to you Lauren). I even listened to the first LibroVox recording and while I pride myself on being able to multi-task, listening to the book and doing the dishes proved too difficult for my mind to fully grasp Jane Austen. I digress....what I am trying to say is this post piqued my interest to the point of trying again and actually sitting and listening and even eventually reading Persuasion. I am loving it so far and God willing, I hope to have it finished by Monday's meeting! So thank you, Dr. Bugajski, for lighting a fire under me and although I can't claim to be the Jane Austen groupie some of these gals are - I am definitely becoming a fan!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I find myself wishing and wishing that we could back up 8 years and meet Anne and Frederick when they had first been engaged. I also found myself wondering if my husband and I had been thwarted in our relationship (which at the hand of a few well-intentioned family members, it might have happened) how we would be if we had re-connected years later. It amazes me that both Anne and Frederick were able to kindle that love for one another, and maintain their connection (even if it was not affectionate at first the second time around). The subtleties in the novel showing how well they knew each other after so much time had passed, almost if they had been married all along in their hearts. I have not read all of Austen's works, but I really admire how Persuasion stands out. Coming from someone who always got picked last in kickball, it's great to root for a Heroine who finally gets her happy ending!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cecilia, if my post helped you to give Austen another shot, then that makes me very happy! Even if you don't become an Austen groupie, it is great that you gave it a second try. :)

    And Julia, a number of the reasons why you like Persuasion are very similar to why I like it. This weekend, I am going to write one last blog post on that very subject, so that is on its way!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want to testify of the good work done by a faithful Dr Akim, a spell caster. in my life I never thought there is such thing as love spell intercession. my problem started nine months back when the father of my kids started putting up some strange behavior, I never knew he was having an affair outside our matrimonial home. it dawn on me on that faithful day 19th of April 21st 4:23pm when he came to the house to pick his things that was when I knew that situation has gotten out of hand and he then told me he was quitting the marriage which I have built for over five years, I was confused and dumbfounded I called on family and friends but to no avail. two months after I started having problem with my kids welfare rent-age and all of it, I really went through hell. until a day I was browsing on the internet and I happen to meet a spell caster I never believed on this but I needed my man back so I gave the spell caster my problem at first I never trusted him so I was just doing it but you know a problem shared is half solved after a 2 days my husband called me telling me that he his coming back home and that was all. now we are living happily.contact him on this email:(bestlovedoctor@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. My name is Jones Clifford from USA .I am here to give testimony on how I got my husband back. My husband left me for no reason 3 years ago. He moved in with another woman, I felt like killing myself, my life became very bitter and sorrowful. Then 1 day, a friend of mine told me about a great spell caster that is very good and, he said he gave him some lucky numbers that he played in a lottery and he won. I didn't believe it because I've worked with so many of them and it didn't work. He begged me further so I decided to try this great spell caster called DR Steve. I still didn't believe. I used the spell he gave me and the next day I received a call from my darling husband Thomas last month. He apologized and came back to me. He even gave me 10,000USD as a means of compensating me. I'm very happy now. Thank you DR Steve, You can reach him via email:(prophetogogalaga@gmail.com...He can solve any problem like,

    (1) If you want your ex back.

    (2) you need a divorce in your relationship.

    (3) You want to be promoted in your office

    (4) You want women & men to run after you.

    (5) If you want a child.

    (6) You want to be rich.

    (7) You want to lock your husband & wife to be yours forever
    .
    (8) If you need financial stance.

    (9) He can make you pregnancy.

    (10) He can cure you from any diseases.


    contact:prophetogogalaga@gmail.com... contact before it will be too late

    ReplyDelete
  10. My name is tucker stacey.This is a very joyful day of my life because of the help Dr.Trust has rendered to me by helping me get my ex husband back with his magic and love spell. i was married for 6 years and it was so terrible because my husband was really cheating on me and was seeking for a divorce but when i came across Dr.Trust email on the internet on how he help so many people to get thier ex back and help fixing relationship.and make people to be happy in their relationship. i explained my situation to him and then seek his help but to my greatest surprise he told me that he will help me with my case and here i am now celebrating because my Husband has change totally for good. He always want to be by me and can not do anything without my present. i am really enjoying my marriage, what a great celebration. i will keep on testifying on the internet because Dr.Trust is truly a real spell caster. DO YOU NEED HELP THEN CONTACT DOCTOR TRUST NOW VIA EMAIL: Ultimatespellcast@yahoo.com or call +2348156885231 or ultimatespellcast@gmail.com. He is the only answer to your problem and make you feel happy in your relationship.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a testimony that i will tell to everyone to hear. I am Jessica Morgan? have been married for three years and on the fifth years of my marriage, another woman had a spell to take my lover away from me and my husband left me and the kids and we have suffered for 2 years until i met Dr. Ekpiku of the Ekpikuspelltemple@live.com where so many people have been helped and i decided to give him a try to help me bring my lover back home and believe me i just send my picture to him and that of my husband and after 48 hours as he have told me, i saw a car drove into the house and behold it was my husband and he have come to me and the kids and that is why i am happy to make every one of you in similar to visit this man via Email and have your lover back to your self Dr. Ekpiku of Ekpikuspelltemple@live.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello everyone my name is Sophie,i am from Canada I feel very happy to share my great and wonderful testimony with everyone on this platform..: I was married for 4 years to my husband and all of a sudden another woman came into the picture he started hating me and he was abusive and all because i never bear him a child. but i still loved him with all my heart and wanted him at all cost.... He filed for divorce and my whole life was turning apart and i didn't know what to do, he moved out of the house and abandoned me all alone,one day a very close friend of mine told me about trying spiritual means to get my husband back,so i went online to search and i came across so many spell caster who only wasted my time and took a lot of money from me,but i went back to her and told her that spiritual way has only taking my money and not yielding anything, and she  introduced me to a spell caster,drgurulovespelltemple@yahoo.com, so i decided to try it. although i didn't believe in all those things because of what i have gone through lately,i contacted the Doctor and explain all my problems to him and he told me that i shouldn't worry that when he cast the spell on me and my husband that my husband is going to run back to me and that within 3weeks am going to get pregnant,so i did the little he ask me to do and behold it all work out,my husband run back to me and right now we have Twins boy and a girl,so all thanks to Dr Guru you're indeed a great spell caster, in case anyone needs help here is his email address; drgurulovespelltemple@yahoo.com His spells is for a better life OR whatsapp him now +2349023365076

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...